Monday, February 25, 2013

As Time Goes By

Earlier this month, I remembered that it has already been a year since our blogger friend Raji (Miri) of Peppermill passed away. Manisha also mentioned it in her last post and added that she would cook and post something from Raji's blog. That's a fitting tribute for a food blogger and I wanted to join Manisha in remembering this beautiful person who gave us a glimpse into her kitchen and her life for several years. So I spent a few hours re-reading Raji's blog and thinking about her, and about what to make. In the end, I went with something familiar, a curry recipe from her blog that I've made before.

I crave meals of curry and rice as surely as the moon waxes and wanes. Rich curries, heavy with coconut, are part of my childhood Sundays and I recreate them often, in a simpler form, as a supper of egg curry with steamed rice. In fact, one of my earliest posts, nearly 8 years ago was a recipe for Sri Lankan curry powder and an egg curry using the spice. (Yes, I seem to have forgotten all about One Hot Stove's 8th birthday earlier this month.)

Raji's curry recipe is similar to my favorite recipe for egg rassa, but with a little Southern Indian touch of mustard seeds and curry leaves and the tang of tamarind. Here's how I adapted it.

Egg Curry, in Honor of Raji


1. In a pan, dry roast the following very gently, then cool and grind into a powder:
1 tbsp. coriander seeds
1 tbsp. white poppy seeds
1 tsp. fennel seeds
1/2 tsp. fenugreek seeds
4-5 peppercorns

2. In a saucepan, heat 2 tsp. oil. Temper it with 1 sprig fresh curry leaves and 1 tsp. mustard seeds.
3. Add 1 large finely chopped onion and fry until golden.
4. Add salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder, ginger garlic paste to taste, and the spice powder made earlier. Fry for a couple of minutes.
5. Add 1/2 cup tomato puree and fry for a few more minutes.
6. Stir in 1 can coconut milk, 1 tsp. tamarind paste and water if necessary to make a curry.
7. Simmer for a few minutes. Taste and adjust the flavors (tangy, salty) as necessary.
8. Add 6 halved hard boiled eggs and garnish with plenty of cilantro.

This curry base is easy enough to make but rewards you with incredible flavor, and would be wonderful with things other than eggs- like vegetables or soy nuggets or even koftas.

There's another recipe from Peppermill that has been on my to-do list for a while- this Punjabi pickle, and there is a link within that post to another pickle recipe by Anita that also looks really good. Now I only have to get my hands on some mustard oil and I'm ready for some pickling.

And while we're still in season for wintry meals like rice and kadhi, I highly recommend Raji's mixed vegetable kadhi. With lots of aromatic seeds in the tempering, and chunks of juicy vegetables cooked into the yogurt base, we enjoy this recipe very much. Well, Raji- or Miri, as I will always fondly think of you- you are missed. 

22 comments:

  1. Looks delish! I normally break a couple of eggs into the gravy to make it creamier. Will try your version next time!

    Does Lila enjoy Indian food? I think it's awesome that you're exposing her to all types of cuisine (saw your Jan dinner diary). So many kids these days haven't a clue about food beyond pizza or mac n cheese.

    Preeti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lila loves Indian food as much as she loves any other food.

      Delete
  2. miss her too,,gonna try her vegetable kadhi as you suggested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vegetable kadhi is worth a try- simple dish with lots of flavor.

      Delete
  3. That is such a lovely post and a fitting tribute to a much loved food blogger friend. Also congrats on the delicious 8 years. May you have many more scrumptious years!Always look forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good wishes- I'm stunned that 8 whole years have gone by. I hope you're well, and the kids too!

      Delete
  4. Hi Nupur,
    Such a lovely tribute to Miri..
    Egg Curry and Mixed vegetable kadhi are lovely recipes..... I have must try out the South Indian version of Egg Curry... It sounds interesting and must have tasted delicious too...
    & Also, I must take a look at the Punjabi pickle recipe that you have bookmarked...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Punjabi pickles are high on my to-do list, they look just so good.

      Delete
  5. happy blog birthday, Nupur! thank you so much for maintaining this blog in spite of all the demands on your time -- it is such a help and inspiration for people like me, who are tempted to compromise on our own food or hobbies to make time for work and young babies. And once again, thank you so much for the breakfast post...

    - Vasudha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the wishes and for your kind words :) Work and babies are priorities and should be, but taking care of oneself (body and soul) makes us better equipped to take on the challenges of life, I feel.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful! And such a wonderful tribute to Raji. Thank you! We are enjoying an adapted version of Raji's brinji, that I hope to post about soon.

    And thank you for continuing to to put your heart into your blog. Happy 8th to One Hot Stove! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you suggested it. I've been thinking of Raji so much lately and cooking this meal gave me something concrete to do.

      Delete
  7. That's such a wonderful tribute to her. I made her podalangai masala. It was when she wrote that post that she told me about her blog. Made her egg biryani for dinner that night. Somehow still difficult to believe she is no more..She will continue to live through her blogs and all the wonderful things she has done for me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just so painful, I know much more so for you.

      Delete
  8. So sweet of you to do this!!! I miss Miri too... Made this for lunch today...congrats on the 8th hot stove anniversary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely tribute to Raji aka Miri as known to all. It's because of you, I started following her blog! Feb/March is a very difficult month for me too personally. A very dear friend of mine succumbed to cancer leaving very small kids behind & Raji followed behind. I will definetly make something from Miri's blog & let you know..
    Congratulations on 8th anniversary of One Hot Stove, Nupur!!! Keep going & celebrate with all of us in many more years

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. It is so devastating when young kids are left without their moms. I hope your friend's children are doing well, a year later.

      Delete
  10. A wonderful tribute! I made the egg curry yesterday and could not help thinking of this lovely lady. Made me think that I really need to cherish the lucky days I have with my family.
    Congratulation son the 8th anniversary! Keep the recipes coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, life and health is a precious gift, something that we all tend to forget in the hustle and bustle of daily life.

      Delete
  11. That is a wonderful tribute to Miri. I can't believe its been a year already. The egg curry looks great, I'll give it a try soon.

    Happy 8th blog Birthday Nupur!!! I've been a regular reader since the last 6 years and wish you many many happy times in future.

    I've been keeping a Dinner Diary too since your last post and surprisingly it is helping me stay enthusiastic about cooking even after a hard day at work.

    I finished reading 'Below Stairs' recommended by you and enjoyed it. Thanks! I look forward to your posts on books to read. And I can't wait for the 'spice n nice' roundup, I hope that's coming up next!

    - Priti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet wishes! I'm still waiting on about 8 swappers to send in their photos, and hoping they will do so by next week so I can post the round up.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment- I try to respond to every single one.